Today is Thursday, Oct. 29, 2020. Let's get caught up.
These non-virus headlines are in the news this morning: A suspected terrorist killed 3 in a knife attack at a French church; Zeta moves northeast after lashing Gulf Coast; and all eyes on Florida today as Trump and Biden make campaign stops.
Read on for these stories, other top headlines, celebrity birthdays and more.
3 dead in knife attack in French church; terrorism suspected
PARIS — An attacker armed with a knife killed three people at a church Thursday in the Mediterranean city of Nice, authorities said. It was the third attack in two months in France.
The assailant was wounded by police and hospitalized after the killings at the Notre Dame Church, less than a kilometer (half-mile) from the site in 2016 where another attacker plowed a truck into a Bastille Day crowd, killing dozens. Read more:
Zeta barrels northeast after battering storm-weary coast
NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A fast-moving Zeta weakened to a tropical storm as it barreled northeast Thursday morning after ripping through Louisiana and Mississippi where storm-weary residents were advised to stay indoors overnight while officials assessed the havoc the storm had wrought.
The storm raged onshore Wednesday afternoon in the small village of Cocodrie in Louisiana as a strong Category 2 and then moved swiftly across the New Orleans area and into neighboring Mississippi, bringing with it both fierce winds and storm surge. There was heavy rain at times but since the storm was so fast-moving, rain related flooding wasn't as much of a concern. Read more:
Trump, Biden to appeal to last-minute voters in Florida
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — President Donald Trump and Democratic rival Joe Biden are set to chase votes in Florida, a state all but essential to the Republican's pathway to another term as both nominees turn their focus to encouraging voters to turn out on Election Day.
Trump and Biden will appear in Tampa hours apart on Thursday, visiting the western end of the state’s Interstate 4 corridor, the area known for its rapid residential growth, sprawling suburbs and status as an ever-changing, hard-fought battleground during presidential elections. More Election 2020 coverage here:
In other news today ...
- Americans may feel whiplashed by a report Thursday on the economy's growth this summer, when an explosive rebound followed an epic collapse. The government will likely estimate that the economy grew faster on an annualized basis last quarter than in any such period since record-keeping began in 1947.
- Federal agencies warned that cybercriminals are unleashing a wave of data-scrambling extortion attempts against the U.S. healthcare system designed to lock up hospital information systems.
- Philadelphia police pledged to release 911 tapes and police body camera footage “in the near future” in the shooting death of a Black man with a history of mental health problems.
- Miles Taylor, a former Trump administration official who penned a scathing anti-Trump op-ed and book under the pen name “Anonymous,” revealed himself Wednesday as a former chief of staff at the Department of Homeland Security.
- Thousands of Californians were allowed to return to their homes Wednesday as calmer winds helped firefighters beat back two wind-driven wildfires that had spurred widespread evacuations.
- Typhoon Molave set off landslides that killed at least 19 people and left 45 missing in central Vietnam, where ferocious wind and rain blew away roofs and knocked out power.
- Out of contention to defend his NASCAR Cup title, Kyle Busch at least extended his season winning streak to 16 with his first victory of 2020.
- Jimmy Orr, a sure-handed wide receiver who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Colts after starring at the University of Georgia, has died. He was 85.
Click on the links below for full versions of these stories and scroll further for trending stories, a look at today in history and celebrity birthdays.
Image of the day
On this date
"Black Tuesday” descended upon the New York Stock Exchange. Prices collapsed amid panic selling and thousands of investors were wiped out as A…
Here's a look back at sports happenings on this date in history, Oct. 29.
Happy birthday to ...
Be the first to know
Get local news delivered to your inbox!