Goochland County is laying the groundwork to attract large developments by technology companies — including the lucrative data center industry — with a proposal to establish both a “technology overlay district” and an incentivizing “technology zone.”
People are also reading…
Traffic heading southbound on Route 288 seen from the Patterson Avenue overpass on July 8 in Goochland County. The county is considering a district in the area to incentivize major developments by technology companies.
From the Archives: Scenes of Richmond in the 1980s
10-27-1986 (cutline): Downtown Richmond's skyline (from left): United Virginia Bank, Sovran Center, Omni Hotel and Dominion Bank of Richmond.
05-31-1984: 1205 E. Main Street
01-23-1981 (cutline): Workmen lifted and then lowered, a cast iron "eyebrow" from one of the 16 windows at 913 E. Main St. yesterday. The eyebrows, each weighing 200 pounds, plus some pilasters and Corinthian capitals, are being saved by United Virginia Bank and donated to the Historic Richmond Foundation. The buildings at 913 and 911 E. Main were built in 1866.
09-20-1980 (cutline): Five seperate buildings would be connected inside in renovation.
08-11-1988 (cutline): What appears to be a giant, ill-placed tent is actually a screen to protect vehicles from the effects of sandblasting and painting under Interstate 95 on East Main Street. With the shield in place, vehicles, such as this "trolley," can pass by unharmed.
06-27-1987 (cutline): Buildings on 1500 block of Main St. scheduled for renovation.
06-28-1985 (cutline): S&S Financial's office is now at Main and Ninth Streets.
07-14-1983 (cutline): Excavation is progressing at Ninth and Cary Streets for James Center, a $325 million, 10-year project that includes five office towers, 255 residential high-rise condominiums, a 400-room hotel and 50,000 square feet of retail space. The first structure will be a $53 million, 20-story office building scheduled for completion in spring 1985.
07-14-1983 (cutline): Excavation is progressing at Ninth and Cary Streets for James Center, a $325 million, 10-year project that includes five office towers, 255 residential high-rise condominiums, a 400-room hotel and 50,000 square feet of retail space. The first structure will be a $53 million, 20-story office building scheduled for completion in spring 1985. Tenants already signed include Bull & Bear Club, the McGuire Woods & Battle law firm and CSX Resources Inc., a subsidiary of Richmond-based CSX Copr. CSX Resources Inc. and Faison Associates of Charlotte, N.C.,are developing the property.
09-08-1988: Harrison and Cary Streets.
11-14-1984 (cutline): This photo, taken from the 13th floor of the 600 East Broad Building, shows the 6th Street Marketplace beginning to take shape with some of the steel beams for the roof supports being put in place. The $23 million project is expected to open in September1985.
03-02-1985 (cutline): Where there was open space yesterday morning, by afternoon there was the steel outline for the 6th Street Marketplace bridge. The glass-enclosed bridge over Broad Street will connect the northern and southern sections of the downtown shopping mall. Traffic on Broad Street will be rerouted today and, as construction proceeds, during the next several weeks.
12-04-1980 (cutline): Planners think this first view of Richmond for drivers leaving I-64 on Fifth Street can be improved.
08-11-1989 (cutline): On his way home, Joe Walters crosses Cary and Fifth streets in rain that totaled more than 1.5 inches.
01-05-1985 (cutline): This rain-slicked part of Patterson Avenue near Parham Road shows the conditions that motorists had to deal with repeatedly this week. Miles and miles of similar roads have caused numerous accidents during the week. Though the state has had only two fatalities so far this year, dispatchers throughout the Richmond area report numerous less-serious accidents. Similar wet conditions--and possibly some light snow--have been predicted for today.
In April 1982, preparations for construction of the Richmond Convention Center were underway along East Broad Street downtown. Among businesses that were torn down to accommodate the new facility were Swatty’s Men’s Shop and the Greyhound bus station.
In January 1980, the Richmond Bicentennial Commission erected this billboard along Interstate 95 downtown to celebrate the city’s 200th year as Virginia’s capital, which previously was Williamsburg.
In October 1984, workers installed the Best Products sign at the company’s headquarters on Parham Road in Henrico County. The catalog showroom retailer was founded by Sydney and Francis Lewis in Richmond in the late 1950s; it went out of business in 1997.
A July 1957 view shows Linden Row, a downtown Richmond landmark that dates to between 1847 and 1853. Originally, there were 10 houses, but two were demolished in 1922 to allow construction of the Medical Arts Building, now known as Linden Towers. Mary Wingfield Scott led the preservation of the remaining houses, and in 1980, she donated the property to the Historic Richmond Foundation. In 1988, it reopened the houses as Linden Row Inn.
Sean Jones (804) 649-6911
